Warning on TV Safety!
All around the country young children and pets are falling victim to insecure big screen televisions. This is partially because of flimsy stands, however for the majority, it's caused by not securing the TV to the TV cabinet properly.
Nearly all TV's have a mounting hole at the back on the base of the stand enabling you to put a tether or at least a screw through into the timber or backing of your TV cabinet. Obviously putting a screw into the nice finish atop of your TV cabinet is not very desirable - sometimes this leaves only one option - To wall mount.
Wall mounting is secure and safe. The noggins inside the wall hold up your house. They are more than capable of holding in excess of 200KG with the heaviest of heavy TV's coming in around 80KG (and most newer TV's are under 30kilograms).
We've heard horror stories of TV's even been blown over by strong wind gusts and falling on children. We do alot of insurance claims for TV's that have fallen or been knocked over (thankfully many of them adults were involved and noone was hurt). However, these situations are completely avoidable had the TV been SECURE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
"Thankfully the hundreds of insurance claims we deal with where TV's have been accidently knocked over did not harm anyone. These situations are completely avoidable had the TV been secure in the first place."
The author once did a photography gag with his own daughter and a carefully positioned 80inch face down on the ground giving the illusion that it had fallen and crushed half her body. In the photo some tomato sauce resembling blood was combined with a well put on act on behalf of the young girl as she poked her tongue out and eyes closed as if she was down and out by the fallen TV. This definately arroused some attention with parents and in regards to the safety of their televisions. I think this is better to be illustrated and educated upon; rather than to become a real statistic! Remember we are seeing regular insurance claims from knocked over televisions! (You have been warned!).
Keep your children and pets safe.